Thursday, July 10, 2008

SOMETHING NEW

I often get teased by the rest of my Department about my arduous commute to and from work - I have a ten minute stroll through Lincoln Park to get from home to the Museum! Needless to say just as others become familiar with aspects of their commute like toll booths, train stations or bus stops, so do I. I notice when the geese start to pair off or when the first golden-crowned kinglet arrives in the spring. And yes, before you ask, I do realise how lucky I am! On my way home yesterday evening I spotted this little guy on the path in front of me (actually I would have probably stepped on him if I hadn't happened to be looking down at that moment.)It is the caterpillar of a White-marked Tussock Moth Orgyia leucostigma and although the caterpillar is quite stunning the moth is a plain little brown thing that would very easily be overlooked. Something about all those hairs and bright colours suggested not to touch but I was able to get a couple of reasonable shots anyway.

Photo Credits - CJT

No comments: