Friday, September 5, 2008

FOOD FOR THOUGHT



Here is a fun meme that I got from my boss Doug It is a interesting exercise just to see what crazy things you have, or haven't, eaten in your life and there are only two basic instructions -

1) Bold all the items you have eaten.
2) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.

1. Venison – Pretty Good, depends on the preparation
2. Nettle tea – Not so good! But apparently it is very healthy.
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare - Yum
5. Crocodile – Tastes like chicken – Yes Really!
6. Black pudding – It’s an acquired taste! Popular among vampires.
7. Cheese fondue – Clichéd but I do love it, especially in the winter.
8. Carp – Not my favorite fish.
9. Borscht – Many years of flying Aeroflot, it was inevitable!
10. Baba ghanoush – Not a fan of the eggplant!
11. Calamari – Yum, yum
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich – Being a Brit I just don’t get it, tried once, never again!!
14. Aloo gobi – Yum, yum
15. Hot dog from a street cart - hot dog of course but never from a street cart, I must rectify this!
16. Epoisses – Smelly but good!
17. Black truffle – Everything tastes better with a bit of black truffle (well almost everything)
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes – Absolutely!
19. Steamed pork buns – Once was enough
20. Pistachio ice cream – There are better flavours!
21. Heirloom tomatoes – The best!
22. Fresh wild berries – Blackberries straight from the briar, nothing better, except maybe my Moms blackberry mousse.
23. Foie gras – I can’t get enough, banned in Chicago or not!
24. Rice and beans – Not exactly a thrilling dish!
25. Brawn, or head cheese – Another acquired taste, that I really don’t need to acquire!
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche – Well why not!
28. Oysters – Only cooked, can’t face the slither of raw oysters.
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl – Clam chowder, yes, in a sourdough bowl, no.
33. Salted lassi – Blurgg!
34. Sauerkraut – Not great!
35. Root beer float – Another American thing I just don’t get.
36. Cognac with a fat cigar – Cognac with another cognac is infinitely preferable.
37. Clotted cream tea. – Well I have complained about American dishes so it’s only right to complain about a British one too – don’t like this.
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O – Oh come on! Is the pope catholic???
39. Gumbo – Yes - Excellent
40. Oxtail – A well cooked oxtail is a true delight.
41. Curried goat – This has to be one of my all time favorites and I am delighted to say that they have just started selling goat at our local farmers market.
42. Whole insects – Termites, they really don’t taste bad at all and crickets, just crunchy.
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk – When I was a child we had two goats at home so yes.
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more – You have found my favorite vice – need I say more?
46. Fugu – Don’t eat things that can kill you!!
47. Chicken tikka masala – Yes please ☺
48. Eel – Once is enough ☹
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut – Oh Yeah!
50. Sea urchin – Recently had Sea Urchin Ice Cream – I was underwhelmed.
51. Prickly pear – Not bad.
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal –I'm Loving It!
56. Spaetzle – Not too keen
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV – Don’t like beer
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips – Recently discovered, they are good!
61. S’mores – I have to honest, I much prefer just the toasted marshmallow without all the other stuff.
62. Sweetbreads – What is there to say?
63. Kaolin – Parrots and elephants use it to aid digestion so there must be something to be said for it.
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs – Tastes like chicken! Well kind of.
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake – A vice I can live without.
68. Haggis – Delicous, especially combined with number 45!
69. Fried plantain – Any form of plantain is great.
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette – You should be really hungry before trying this!
71. Gazpacho – Yum, yum
72. Caviar and blini – Another of my vices! Love the fish eggs!
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost – Not great
75. Roadkill – My Aunt lives in the boundaries of a deer park and occasionally they stray onto the road!
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail – Love them, the more garlic the better!
79. Lapsang souchong – Not my favorite tea (that would be an understatement!)
80. Bellini – Not a fan
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict. Its not a favorite of mine.
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
85. Kobe beef – Vastly overrated if you ask me, a good piece of African beef is far superior.
86. Hare - Yum although they are becoming threatened so I tend not to eat it.
87. Goulash - Yum
88. Flowers – Not so yum
89. Horse – I ate it by mistake (I couldn’t read the menu!) A fairly unremarkable meat.
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam – What can I say about Spam that hasn’t already been said by Monty Python?
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish – Mud is not a favorite flavour of mine.
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox – Usually at Christmas - am I being disrespectful :)
97. Lobster Thermidor – Yum, yum, yum
98. Polenta – Why was this invented, dreadful stuff.
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

Bonus: What food item have you tried that should be on this list but isn't?

A few goofy things – Unbleached tripe, so it is bright green.
Mopane Worms – sort of like a caterpillar, deep fried!
Hippo – very chewy – no surprise there then!

No comments: